I Want To...

Select your task from the options below:

Back To Transportation (Highway) & Engineering Department

Driveway & Ultility Permits

Types of Permits

The department issues two (2) types of permits.  Please note, we can not process any applications until the appropriate fee's have been paid.

Driveway Permits


Driveway Permits are required when a new driveway is installed or an existing driveway changes use. An example of a change in use would be,  'You want to change an old farm field access drive to be used for a driveway for a new house'.

You may downloaded and submit the completed applications by e-mail, fax, or in person to the department during during the regular business hours of 7:00am - 3:00 pm.  At $25.00 application fee is required.

The major residential driveway rules that a homeowner should know are:

  1. The homeowner is responsible for the driveway culvert. The homeowner must fix or replace their driveway culvert if it becomes clogged or fails, for any reason.
  2. In general, the required spacing between driveways is 185' on major roads.
  3. The required sight distance for a new driveway is 280 ft each direction (based on 40 MPH).
  4. The width of a new driveway is limited to 24 feet.
  5. Driveway's may not drain toward the road.

The complete set of driveway regulations include the Subdivision Control Ordinances-Section 335, the Zoning Ordinance-Section 24, and County Commissioner's Ordinances-Title 9.

Utility Permits


Utility Permits are required when any construction work is done, by any person or organization, in the county right-of-way.  If you are unsure of the location of the right-of-way, please call the department at (812) 655-9394.

You may downloaded and submit the completed applications by e-mail, fax, or in person, to the department during regular business hours (8:30 am - 4:00 pm).  Generally, no fee is required for minor work, along the roadway.  Major work, such as closing a road or open cutting a roadway requires a $150 application fee.  The department will evaluate the application to determine if a fee is required.

In the event of a declared emergency due to a major storm event, utility providers should concentrate on restoring service to their customers.  The department will generally waive the application requirements and fees during these events.  All rules and regulations will still apply.  The utility is required to notify the department, by calling (812) 655-9394, of any work which will have a significant impact on the the roadway or the traveling public, such as road closing, digging in the road, or other activities.

Website designed and maintained by Reaction Web